Violin Pre-Screening Requirements
Instructions for your videos (due December 1, 2021).
- Begin your video by stating your name, email address, your intended major (Violin Performance, Music Education [several options], Composition, Commercial Music, or Bachelor of Arts). You can find information on these majors here.
- Upload your pre-screening audition recording (video, not just audio) to YouTube by December 1, 2021. Click here to learn how to upload a video to YouTube.
- Film yourself in landscape view from approximately the waist up, with the top of your head near the top of the frame.
- Stand between 10 and 15 feet away from your recording device to improve sound quality. Most applicants use their phone, computer, or tablets to record. The use of an external microphone is always advised but not necessary.
- Perform the required selections listed below. (Performing with a pianist is not required for this video.)
Pre-Screening Round Repertoire
- Perform A Major and E Major and Minor scales at 16th notes with spiccato bow stroke (off the string) at 104= a quarter note.
- A movement from a Bach solo Sonata or Partita.
- A slow movement from a sonata, concerto, or a short slow piece like Vocalise or Beau Soir with a singing tone quality and with vibrato.
- A fast movement from a concerto or like genre that demonstrates technical ability, such as those by Mozart (3, 4, or 5), Mendelssohn, Tchaikovsky, Barber, Sibelius, Paganini, Wieniawski, etc. Other pieces like Symphonie Espagnole, Carmen Fantasy, Rondo Capriccioso etc. are also acceptable.
- Brahms Symphony No. 4, Movement III, beginning to letter B or measure 44. Click here for the pdf file.
- Memorization encouraged for pre-screening, required for live auditions. Pianist encouraged for pre-screening video, but not required. *Transfer students: All questions about transfer credits will be answered after acceptance to the School of Music.
Thank you for your interest. We are looking forward to hearing you play on your submitted video recordings!
If you have any questions please contact us by clicking the email links below: