Audition using the following material. If you cannot attend the live auditions, upload a recording to YouTube and include it in your application in SOMIS. Demonstrate proficiency in the following areas:
- Snare Drum
- Select an etude or solo that includes rolls, flams, drags, and good dynamic contrast. Demonstrate these in an appropriate orchestral style. Suggested literature: a selection from Portraits in Rhythm by Anthony Cirone or from Twelve Etudes by Jacques Delécluse.
- Perform a 30-second (approximately) buzz roll ranging from soft to loud to soft.
- Perform some paradiddles at a fast tempo; accented paradiddles or non-accented are fine
- Keyboard Percussion
- Select a solo or etude that demonstrates your technique and musicianship to best advantage. Suggested literature: one of the 39 etudes from Morris Goldenberg’s Modern School for Xylophone, Marimba, and Vibraphone. Suggested solos: Tambourin Chinois by Fritz Kreisler or a selection from either Volume 1 or 2 of Intermediate Masterworks for Marimba
- Select a solo or etude that demonstrates a variety of articulation, rolls, and dynamics, and that includes tuning changes. Suggested literature: a selection from The Solo Timpanist by Vic Firth or from The Timpani Challenge by Nick Woud.
- Drum Set
- Demonstrate the ability to play a variety of styles (swing, rock, Afro-Cuban, Brazilian). Demonstrate your ability to play brushes, trade fours in a swing or rock style, and play figures from a big band chart.
- Perform a solo that demonstrates your technique/abilities to best advantage: Suggested solos: Jazz Solos, Vol. 1 by Rich Thompson or from Advanced Funk Studies by Rick Latham. You may also play a transcription.