Audition using the following material. If you cannot attend the live auditions, upload a recording to YouTube and include it in your application in SOMIS.
Major and minor scales, two octaves, played in quarter-notes at ♩= 120 m.m.
- Two pieces of contrasting tempo and style: one lyrical and slower, the other more technical and fast. These may be different pieces, or movements from the same sonata or concerto.
- Two orchestral excerpts from among the following composers: Beethoven, Brahms, Mendelssohn, Mozart, Schubert, R. Strauss, or Tchaikovsky.
For students interested in Jazz Studies:
- One octave scales and modes (Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, and Mixolydian) in all keys.
- Demonstrate correct ways of playing in swing, Latin, and fusion idioms.
- Prepare one swing tune: play the head, walk one full chorus, and improvise a solo over the changes.