There are two degree programs in the School of Music that offer Contemporary Voice as an instrument option: Commercial Music and BA in Music.
- Commercial Music Applicants must be invited to live audition pending portfolio submission (see Commercial Music admission requirements)
- BA in Music Applicants will need to attend the live audition in January; no pre-screening necessary.
- Auditions for Commercial Music AND the BA in Music with Contemporary Voice will be held January 2023.
What to Prepare for your Vocal Audition
TWO contrasting selections (upbeat & ballad) demonstrating your understanding of a contemporary vocal sound.
- Songs can be any contemporary genre, i.e: jazz, country, musical theatre, pop/rock etc. Original material is not required but accepted for one of your selections.
- Both pieces need to be under 3 min combined. Because this is a vocal audition, we recommend not playing for yourself. An accompanist will be provided.
Videotaped auditions from out-of-town applicants will be accepted until the audition date. Please upload your YouTube video to the application.
If you have any other questions, please contact Korianne Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org.