Audition using the following material. If you cannot attend the live auditions, upload a recording to YouTube and include it in your application in SOMIS.
- Scales: Perform all major scales in two octaves (within the normal range of the instrument) in sixteenth notes at a tempo of ♩= 80 m.m. or faster. Also play a two-octave chromatic scale starting on B-flat concert. Play them
single tongued at a tempo of your choice.
- Sight-reading (for those performing live auditions).
- Excerpts and/or solo, to display:
- Technical facility and rhythm: music containing a generous number of passages comprising the equivalent of at least four consecutive sixteenth notes at a tempo of quarter note = 80 m.m. or faster.
- Expression and tone: slower music chosen to demonstrate ability to play legato and with mature musical feeling.
- Literature recommendations for tuba include 1) Air and Bouree by Bach-Bell. (C.Fischer), 2) Suite for Tuba by Haddad (Shawnee Press), and 3) Concertino by Curnow (Tuba Press).
- Literature recommendations for euphonium include: 1) English Suite by R. Bernard Fitzgerald (T. Presser), 2) Six Studies In English Folksong by Ralph Vaughan Williams (R. Galaxy Music Corp.), 3) Rhapsody for Euphonium and Brass Band by James Curnow (Rosehill Music), and 4) Andante and Rondo by Capuzzi-Catanalet (Hinrichsen Edition).