Audition using the following material. If you cannot attend the live auditions, upload a recording to YouTube and include it in your application in SOMIS.
- Be prepared to play at least one complete movement of a work from the standard solo literature (Haydn, Hummel, Arutunian, Kennan, Barat, Ropartz, Clarke, Arban, or a comparable work).
- Be prepared to play one etude taken from a traditional etude book (e.g., Arban Characteristic Study, Brandt, Goldman, Caffarelli, Concone, Charlier, or a comparable study). It should be in a style that contrasts your solo selection.
- If you are interested in the jazz emphasis program, be prepared to play the following:
- The head from a traditional jazz tune (Charlie Parker Omnibook, Traditional Bebop Heads, or a comparable source may be used.
- A solo demonstrating your improvisation skills. Please provide a play-along CD. A player will be provided.
- A lead chart from a big band tune. Range is not as important as an appropriate style.
- Option: If you have experience with orchestral literature, please indicate so and have two or three orchestral excerpts prepared.
- Be prepared to play major scales in all 12 keys. They should be single tongued sixteenth notes at a tempo of ♩= 80 or faster. Play two octaves when it is within your range. All scales should be played both up and down.
- Be prepared to play a two-octave, slurred chromatic scale. Choose a starting note that will effectively demonstrate your range. Play this scale both up and down.
Note: Trumpet auditions are approximately 15 minutes in length and will be recorded. They will take place in E-393 (the trumpet studio). The purpose of the audition is to demonstrate your ability to perform musically and cleanly in several different styles. A piano will be available if you choose to bring an accompanist with you. A CD player will be provided if you choose to bring a jazz play-along CD. Please provide a typewritten list of the works you have prepared for your audition.