Audition using the following material. If you cannot attend the live auditions, upload a recording to YouTube and include it in your application in SOMIS.
- Scales: Perform all major scales and the chromatic scale in the full range of the instrument in sixteenth notes at a tempo of ♩ = 96 m.m. or faster. Play them legato and with single-tongued staccato.
- Excerpts and/or solo, to display:
- Technical facility and rhythm: music containing a generous number of passages comprising the equivalent of at least four consecutive sixteenth notes at a tempo of ♩= 80 m.m. or faster.
- Expression and tone: slower music chosen to demonstrate ability to play legato and with mature musical feeling and intonation.
- If you have skills in jazz, be prepared to play the following:
- The head from a traditional Bebop tune, such as from the Charlie Parker Omnibook, or a comparable source.
- A lead chart from a big band swing tune.
- A solo demonstrating your improvisation skills. Please provide a CD or ipod play-along.
- Sight-reading (for live auditions only).