Audition using the following material. If you cannot attend the live auditions, upload a recording to YouTube and include it in your application in SOMIS.
Classical/Contemporary Guitar repertoire
- A movement from one of the lute suites by J. S. Bach.
- One of the Preludes by Villa-Lobos.
- A movement or entire piece (five minutes maximum) from the Segovia repertoire: Castelnuovo-Tedesco, Moreno-Torroba, Ponce, Tansman, Turina, etc.
Jazz Studies Guitar Repertoire
- For students interested in Jazz Studies be prepared to:
- Play the melody, “comp” the chords, and improvise a solo over the chord changes of two jazz standards, one swing and the other a bossa nova.
- These tunes should be performed with an accompaniment backing track, such as a Jamey Abersold or a track from iReal Pro app.
- Play major and jazz scales with different modes (two octaves).
- Sight-reading (for live auditions only).
- Demonstrate standard jazz chord voicings.