All vocal students auditioning for the BM in Music Education, specializing in K-12 choral or elementary music, need not complete the pre-screening process. They will have an opportunity to audition for the vocal faculty while taking Music 176. Required repertoire for auditioning music education students is the same as for all applicants and may be found here. More details on the application process for music education students may be found on the division’s undergraduate degree program pages. All vocal students auditioning for the BM in Vocal Performance or BM in Composition MUST complete the pre-screening process. This process includes the following:
- Complete the online School of Music application and letter(s) of recommendation at /apply.
- Upload your pre-screening audition recording to YouTube by December 1. Follow the directions provided online after submitting your application.
- Prospective students who pass the pre-screening process will be invited to perform a live audition. Only the students who have completed the application process by December 1 will be considered in the pre-screening process for the live auditions in January.
- Prepare three pieces of contrasting nature (styles, tempo, mood, language) that explore your most successful classical vocal repertoire. Include literature that demonstrates any language proficiency in addition to English. Sing your best pieces first.
- If your three selections do not fully demonstrate the integration and limits of your full-voiced pitch range, you may wish to conclude with a series of vocalises that do. The voice faculty may, additionally, ask you to sing a brief portion of a well-known hymn that shows ability to sing with sense of centered pitch.
- Prospective vocal performance and composition students: Remember to complete the application online at apply.
If you are invited to the live audition, be aware of the following: You will select your first song, and the jury will choose from among the other songs you have prepared to complete your audition. A skilled accompanist will be provided; or you may bring your own. Only those auditioning are allowed in the audition studio.